My PhD in Physical Oceanography is from the
University of Sydney, NSW, Australia under the supervision of Prof.
Matthias Tomczak. I am an observational physical oceanographer
who is primarily interested in the mean and variability of
large-scale circulation of the ocean.
As a sea-going oceanographer I have managed to work in some
fairly remote and exotic places, such as the Indonesian seas, the Philippine Seas,
and in the Southern Ocean. You can find links below to web pages that describe
these projects. My tropical work has mainly consisted of mooring
deployments in the narrow passages of the Indonesian and Philippine archipelagos.
The moorings consist of ADCPs and current meters that measure velocity, and microcat
CTDs that measure temperature and salinity. The moorings are typically deployed for 2-3 years.
From these data I study the variability of the flow from intraseasonal to
annual time scales. My Southern Ocean work is varied: from a long-term high resolution
XBT transect across the Antarctic Circumpolar Current in Drake Passage
to analysis of remotely-sensed sea surface height
and SST measurements and their relationship to annual and climate modes of variability.
PRESENT STUDENTS, POST-DOCS
- Marion Alberty, SIO graduate student (2012- ) with Jen MacKinnon.
- Arachaporn (Waen) Anutaliya, SIO graduate student (2012- ) with Uwe Send and Julie McClean.
- Manuel Gutierrez-villanueva, SIO graduate student (2016- ) with Teri Chereskin.
PAST STUDENTS, POST-DOCS
- Shijian Hu, Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar (2015-2016), now at CAS, China.
- Andrew Delman, PhD graduate student (2009-2016), now at Jet Propulsion Lab.
- Kyla Drushka, Post-doc (2012-2014), now at APL, U. Washington
- Riley Gannon, SIO graduate student (2012-2015) , now at USGS.
- Florent Gasparin, SIO Post-doc (2012-2015) now at LEGOS, France
- Geoff Gearheart, PhD graduate student (2008-2014).
- Gordon Stephenson, PhD graduate student (2006-2012), now at Stennis Space Center.
- Yvonne Firing, PhD graduate student (2006-2012), now at SOC, UK.
- ChuanLi Jiang, Postdoc (2008-2011), now at Seattle, WA.
- Alexa Griesel, Postdoc (2005-2009), now at University of Hamburg.
- Shenfu Dong, Postdoc (2004-2007), now at CIMAS/AOML, Miami.
- Yueng Djern Lenn, PhD graduate student (2002-2006), now at U. Bangor, Wales.
- Andrew Thompson, PhD graduate student (2002-2006), now at CalTech, CA.
Back to SIO Home Page
Back to SIO/PORD Home Page