Decadal and longer time-scale variability
Lynne Talley, Fall, 2018
Download pdf presentation
DPO Chapter S15. This can be found on the website for the textbook. I am also linking it HERE.
Annular modes:Annular Modes Website introduction (L'Ecuyer and Thompson, Colorado State)
North Atlantic Oscillation (LDEO)
- Glacial/Interglacial: Rahmstorf, S., 2002:
Ocean circulation and climate during the past 120,000 years. Nature
- PDO: Review article by Nathan Mantua
Annular modes:J. Michael
Wallace lecture notes "On the Arctic and Antarctic Oscillations"
- Southern Annular Mode: DPO Section 13.7
- North Atlantic Oscillation: Marshall,
J., Kushnir, Y., Battisti, D., Chang, P., Czaja, A., Dickson, R.,
McCartney, M., Saravanan, R., Visbeck, M. (2001)
North Atlantic Climate Variability: phenomena, impacts and mechanisms.
Inter. Jour. Climatology, vol.21, No.15, 1863-1898
1. Climate equilibria, forcing, feedbacks, hysteresis
2. Decadal modes: Pacific Decadal Oscillation and ENSO modulation
3. Decadal modes: North Atlantic Oscillation
4. Decadal modes: Southern Annular Mode
5. Millenial change: Atlantic meridional overturning circulation variations, salt oscillator (Stommel), hysteresis
6. Anthropogenic climate change
- What is the primary index of the NAO?
- How are the NAO and northern annular mode (or Arctic Oscillation) related?
- What changes in ocean circulation correspond to shifts in the NAO? What changes in European weather?
- How is the PDO similar to ENSO? How is it different? How might the PDO modulate the strength of ENSO events?
- How is the North Atlantic MOC postulated to have changed between glacial and interglacial times? What is the evidence for this?
- What are the implications of multiple equilibrium states of the MOC for future climate change?
Related Web Sites (VERY OLD, might not work)
Last modified: Dec. 6, 2018