SIO 210: Introduction to Physical Oceanography
Equatorial Pacific SST, courtesy of NOAA
Instructors: Lynne Talley, Paul Robbins, and Myrl Hendershott |
Time: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 11:00-11:50
Location: NEW AS OF OCTOBER 3: Vaughan Hall 100
FINAL exams and final course grades: available from Ms. Tomomi Ushii
in Nierenberg Hall 310. (x49696)
Physical description of the sea; physical properties of seawater,
methods and measurements, boundary processes, regional oceanography.
Prerequisites: the mathematics and physics required for admission
to the graduate curriculum in the Scripps Institution of Oceanography,
or consent of the instructor. Since math courses might have been taken
many years ago for some students, please check this
math concept link,
and attend the math tutorials at the beginning of the quarter if
you want a refresher.
The course url is http://gyre.ucsd.edu/sio210.
The notes and figures are background for the coursework.
They are evolving and informal. They may not
be used for other purposes without permission.
Figures from copyrighted sources include the reference.
Course requirements: two graded exams. Study questions will be provided
throughout the course, but will not be graded.
Links will become available as lectures are approached.
Math tutorial: Monday 12-1 September 29 through October 20. Replaced with regular class tutorial.
Class tutorials: Tuesday 9-10 and Tuesday 12-1 every week. Also Monday 12-1 starting Nov. 17.
Exam preparation tutorials: Monday Dec. 8 11-12; Tuesday Dec. 9 9-10 and 12-1
On reserve at library
Online texts, not on reserve
- Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics. by Adrian Gill
- Regional Oceanography: An Introduction. by Matthias Tomczak and Stuart Godfrey. (Link is to free download of pdf. Text is out of
- An Introduction to Physical Oceanography by William von Arx.
- Evolution of Physical Oceanography edited by Bruce Warren and Carl Wunsch
- Descriptive Physical Oceanography: An Introduction. by George Pickard and William Emery (See "Online texts" below for updated chapters.)
Lynne Talley; Nierenberg Hall 305; 534-6610 Home Page firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul Robbins; Nierenberg Hall 448; 534-6366 Home Page email@example.com
Last modified: Mon Dec 15 2003