- January 8: Introduction. Chemistry, physics, and biology in the ocean. Properties of sea water (Gille and Andersson)
- January 10: Density of sea water. Heat input to the Earth and the greenhouse effect. Steric warming. Sea level rise. (Gille)
- January 12:
The Earth's energy budget, albedo, atmospheric circulation.
Air-sea exchange: heat transfer across the air-sea interface. (Gille - hw assigned)
- January 17: Holiday
- January 18: Origins. How to build an ocean. (Andersson)
- January 19: Introduction to the carbon cycle (Andersson - hw assigned)
- January 23: Carbon cycle (Andersson)
- January 25: Tides (Gille)
- January 27: Developing hypotheses: What do we expect to find in tide pools? (Gille/Andersson - hwassigned by Andersson )
- January 29: Tide pool field trip session #1
- January 31: Tide pool field trip session #2
- February 2: Analysis: Science from the tide pools (Gille - hw and paper assigned, hw to define a hypothesis)
- February 5: Analysis: Science from the tide pools (Andersson)
- February 7: Carbon cycle (Andersson)
- February 9: Midterm synthesis and review (Gille/Andersson, take home midterm assigned)
- February 12: Guest lecture (?)
- February 14: No class: work on take home midterm
- February 16: What drives the ocean: Basics of ocean circulation (Gille, take home midterm due, short hw assigned)
- February 19: Holiday
- February 21: Changing ocean circulation in a changing climate (Gille)
- February 23: Nutrient distributions and global circulation (Andersson)
- February 26: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (Gille).
- February 28: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (Andersson).
- March 2: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (final version of paper due, Gille - hw assigned).
- March 5: Upwelling and California Current processes (Andersson).
- March 7: Biological pump, macronutrients, acidification (Andersson).
- March 9: Coastal upwelling and the California Current (Gille, hw assigned by Andersson)
- March 12: Coral reefs (Andersson).
- March 14: El Nino and the Southern Oscillation (Gille).
- March 16: Review session, final summary (Gille/Andersson).