- January 7: Introduction. Chemistry, physics, and biology in the ocean. (Gille and Andersson)
- January 9: How to create an Earth-like ocean I: Origins (Andersson)
- January 11: How to create an Earth-like ocean II: Salts and gases (Andersson - hw assigned)
- January 14: Density of seawater. Heat input to the Earth and the greenhouse effect. Steric warming. Sea level rise. (Gille)
- January 16: The Earth's energy budget, albedo, atmospheric circulation. Air-sea exchange: heat transfer across the air-sea interface. (Gille)
- January 18: Tides (Gille - hw assigned)
- January 21: Holiday
- January 23: Tide pool walk (Andersson/Gille)
- January 25: Science from tide pools: hypotheses, physical and chemical variables (Andersson/Gille, extended assignment #1 assigned by Andresson)
- January 28: Marine CO2 system (Andersson)
- January 30: Marine CO2 system (Andersson)
- February 1: CaCO3 in the ocean (Andersson)
- February 4: What drives the ocean: Basics of ocean circulation (Gille)
- February 6: Changing ocean circulation in a changing climate (Gille)
- February 8: Ocean circulation with hands on data? (Gille - hw assigned)
- February 11: Effects of ocean circulation on chemistry & biology (Andersson)
- February 13: Midterm synthesis and review (Gille/Andersson)
- February 15: Midterm (in class in Eckart lecture hall (227) and Sea Cave; Study Room C also reserved)
- February 18: Holiday
- February 20: Upwelling and California Current processes (Andersson)
- February 22: Ocean productivity, nutrient dynamics, N & P cycles (Andersson)
- February 25: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (Gille).
- February 27: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (Gille).
- March 1: High-Nutrient Low Chlorophyll systems (Gille - hw assigned).
- March 4: Anthropogenic impacts: deoxygenation (Andersson).
- March 6: Anthropogenic impacts: acidification (Andersson).
- March 9: El Niño (Gille, hw assigned by Andersson)
- March 11: Physics, chemistry and biology: Coral reefs as a case study (Andersson).
- March 13: Poster session during discussion and class (Andersson/Gille).
- March 15: Review session, final summary (Gille/Andersson).
- March 18: Final exam (in class in Eckart lecture hall (227),
and Sea Cave; Study Room C also reserved)