SIO 219, 1 unit S/U
Professor Paola Cessi
pcessi at ucsd.edu
Phone: 858 534 0622
Office: Keck room 366 - this is on the 3rd floor of Keck, south-west corner.
Meetings Friday 3:30pm, Keck Conference Room
Description The theme of the theory seminar this quarter is baroclinic instability. There'll be a mixture of research seminars and student-led presentations of key papers. Students are encouraged to register for the class, and participation by interested post-docs and faculty is very welcome.
Course Requirements Students should register as S/U. Registered students will be expected to present at least one paper during the quarter and participate in the discussion each week.
The reading list below is under development. Participants are encouraged to suggest papers that they like to read and discuss.
1. Eady, E. T. 1949. Long Waves and Cyclone Waves. Tellus, 1, 33-52
2a. Stone, P. H. 1966. On non-geostrophic baroclinic stability. J. Atmos. Sci., 23, 390-400.
2b. Stone, P. H. 1970. On non-geostrophic baroclinic stability. Part II. J. Atmos. Sci., 27, 721-726.
2c. Haine, T. W. N. and J. Marshall. 1998. Gravitational, Symmetric, and Baroclinic Instability of the Ocean Mixed Layer. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 28, 634-658.
3a. Tulloch, R., Marshall, J., Hill, C., & Smith, K. S. 2011. Scales, growth rates, and spectral fluxes of baroclinic instability in the ocean. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 41, 1057-1076.
3b. Gill, A. E., Green, J. S. A., & Simmons, A. J. 1974. Energy partition in the large-scale ocean circulation and the production of mid-ocean eddies. In Deep Sea Research and Oceanographic Abstracts (Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 499-528).
4. James, I. N. 1987. Suppression of baroclinic instability in horizontally sheared flows. J. Atmos, Sci., 44, 3710-3720.
5. Chen, C. and I. Kamenkovich 2013. Effects of topography on baroclinic instability. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 43, 790-804.
6. Samelson, R. M. and J. Pedlosky 1990. Local baroclinic instability over variable topography. J. Fluid Mech., 221, 411-436.
7. Chomaz, J. M. (2005). Global instabilities in spatially developing flows: non-normality and nonlinearity. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 37, 357-392.
8. Pierrehumbert, R. T. 1984. Local and global baroclinic instability of zonally varying flow. J. Atmos. Sci., 41, 2141-2162.
9. Boccaletti, G., Ferrari, R., & Fox-Kemper, B. 2007. Mixed layer instabilities and restratification. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 37, 2228-2250.
10. Edmon Jr, H. J., Hoskins, B. J., & McIntyre, M. E. 1980. Eliassen-Palm cross sections for the troposphere. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 37, 2600-2616.
11. Elisabeth Ghabache, Arnaud Antkowiak, Christophe Josserand, Thomas Seon. On the physics of fizzing: How bubble bursting controls droplets ejection.
Back to my homepage